Voter’s Choice California (VCC) is a project of Future of California Elections, a nonpartisan nonprofit network promoting cross sector collaboration between election officials and nonprofit organizations. Our goal in this work is for voting to be convenient, modern and inclusive, and ultimately, we want to see voter participation rates increase for all of California’s diverse voters.
Launched in Spring 2017, the Voter’s Choice California project seeks to support county election offices and community organizations who are transitioning to the new voting model under the California Voter’s Choice Act (VCA). Enacted in 2016, the VCA is an optional law, which modernizes elections and changes how, when and where voters cast their ballot. In 2018, VCC worked with the election offices and community organizations of the five pioneer counties – Madera, Napa, Nevada, Sacramento and San Mateo Counties – to provide technical training, learning convenings, and a small pass through grants program to support implementation of the new voting model. Building on our success, Voter’s Choice California will continue much of this work in the 2020 election cycle to support new counties transitional to the VCA.
Voter’s Choice California comprised of a statewide steering committee who helped to launch and establish local committees in counties where there was interest in FoCE’s cross-sector model of collaboration.
Voter’s Choice California Steering Committee:
- American Civil Liberties Union of California
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice-California
- California Common Cause
- Disability Rights California
- League of Women Voters of California
- National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO) Educational Fund
- Orange County Registrar of Voters
- Sacramento County Voter Registration & Elections
- Shasta County Clerk and Registrar of Voters
Future of California Elections (FoCE) Staff
- Astrid Ochoa, Executive Director
- Katy Flaherty, Project Coordinator